BGOA Membership Form
1. The Association shall be called "The Brighton Greyhound Owners' Association".
2. The objects of the Association are as follows: (a) To promote social activities amongst Greyhound Owners and their friends. (b) To provide facilities for advice and judicial representation. (c) To maintain good relationship between Owners and Track Management. (d) To promote the welfare of racing greyhounds and to help provide homes for them on retirement.
3. The Association shall be managed by a Committee of Members and shall consist of the following: Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary/Treasurer and not less than four other members with a maximum of ten. The Committee shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting, and, subject to termination of office by resignation or otherwise, shall remain in office for three consecutive years until their successors are appointed at the first Annual General Meeting following the three year term. The Committee shall have the power to fill any vacancy that may occur and co-opt, if they think fit, up to two members over the maximum allowed. The Committee shall have the power to create sub-committees and co-opt ad hoc members of the Association at large. The retiring Officers and Members of the Committee shall be eligible for re-election. All nominations for election of Committee Members must be proposed and seconded in writing and handed to the Secretary at least 21 days prior to the Annual General Meeting. Nominations shall be restricted to paid-up Members of the Association. All elected Committee Members will be considered honorary full members.
4. (a) The Association shall be open to past and present greyhound owners at Brighton and Hove Stadium on payment of the annual subscription, the value of which shall be fixed for the ensuing year and agreed at the Annual General Meeting. (b) The Committee may, at their discretion, accept application for membership from any individual who, it feels, will contribute to the good of the Association.
5. Subscriptions shall be due on 1st April, and the Annual General Meeting shall be convened before the end of June.
6. A Special General Meeting may be convened at any time by the Committee, and may be convened within 21 days from the receipt of a requisition in writing signed by not less than 25 members, specifying the object of the meeting. Notice convening a Special Meeting shall be sent to members not less than 7 days before the meeting, and shall specify the matters involved. Voting at Special or Annual General Meetings shall be restricted to members who have paid subscriptions to the Association for the current or preceding year. Voting slips, when necessary, to be issued on production of Membership cards or by reference to the Membership Register.
7. The Committee shall have the power to expel any members who shall offend against the rules of the Association, or whose conduct shall, in the opinion of the Committee, render him/her unfit for membership of the Association, but for the purpose of this rule the vote of not less than two thirds of the whole Committee shall be necessary.
8. The Committee shall have power to amend the rules with immediate effect when necessary, but such amendment must be confirmed at a Special or General Meeting within 3 months.
9. The Committee shall have the power to make by-laws for regulating the conduct and affairs of the Association, providing the same are not inconsistent with these rules. Such by-laws shall be brought to the notice of, and shall be binding on, all members.
10. At Committee Meetings and at General Meetings the Chairman or ViceChairman, or in their absence a member selected by the meeting shall preside, and he shall have a casting vote in the event of an equality of votes.
11. At Committee Meetings four shall form a quorum. At General Meetings five shall form a quorum.
12. Any proposed amendment to the rules shall be forwarded in writing to the Secretary, together with names of the proposer and seconder, not less than 21 days before the date of the Annual General Meeting.
13. Auditors to be appointed at the Annual General Meeting.