NEWS & UPCOMING EVENTS
FINAL £50 OWNERS BONUS FOR 2019 WAS WON BY
MR J.HANDSCOMBE & MR A.W.STREET
FROM CLAUDE GARDINER'S KENNELS
A MESSAGE FROM THE BGOA
At the beginning of this year I took over as Chairman of the BGOA from Darren Baker and I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself and explain my thoughts and plans on the way forward for the organisation.
I am a 41 year old Operations Manager for a food manufacturer based in Midhurst, West Sussex. I currently live in Worthing and have one son and two step-children. I entered greyhound ownership two years ago with my partner Melanie as a way of bringing two families together and providing a common focus. We only ever intended on owning one greyhound, but the future did not pan out that way. Three more dogs later and greyhound racing has turned into a way of life and more than just a hobby. Being an owner is a privilege, and I feel there is a responsibility to give something back to enhance and strengthen the long-term future of our industry.
The committee will be meeting soon with a view to establishing our direction going forward along with ensuring we have all necessary positions filled. We will be in touch soon with our plans for the future and details of our upcoming Quarterly awards night. I would welcome any thoughts, ideas and feedback on what you would like to see from the BGOA in the future and would ask for your continued support in the coming year.
Finally, I would like to thank Darren and his committee for the resilience they have shown over the past year. It is testament to all of them that the BGOA has a future which I and the new committee will be working hard to pursue.We will be in touch shortly with new contact details and further information.
Committee Meeting Minutes 13-01-2020
Mike Willis opened the meeting at 19.00
Committee Members are Mike Willis (Chairman), Brenda Gardiner (Vice Chairman),
Sandra Mahon (Secretary/Treasurer), Dave Staddon (Subscriptions Secretary) & Melanie-Jayne Turk (Trophies & Events)
Apologies Mr D.Staddon
Current Committee Structure – It was agreed that a further two members would be needed on the committee.
Miss Melanie - Jayne Turk applied to become a committee member and was voted on by Mike Willis, Brenda Gardiner & Sandra Mahon
Aims Of The BGOA Going Forward – We aim to get all Social Activities held back at the track.
Mike will arrange a meeting with track management asap.
We are confident we can improve the relationship between owners and track management.
In the long term we aim to support Hove trainers & Owners directly with welfare and homing.
Membership – At the end of 2019 we had 123 members.
Our aim is to keep membership stable over the coming year and secure buying of new memberships through a fantastic first event. Provisionally the first event is planned for 23rd February 2020.
Finance – As of 31st December 2019 the finances were £3831.12
Website, Facebook & Email – Our website is up and running as is our new email address, facebook will be relaunched very shortly.
Annual Awards Night – Our annual awards night is set for 3rd May 2020 and at present possibilities are being explored.
AOB – The final owners bonus draw for 2019 was drawn and won by Mr J.Handscombe & Mr A.W.Street from Claude Gardiner's kennels.
Next meeting 3rd February 2020 at 19.00
Mike Willis closed the meeting at 20.24
BGOA QUARTERLY WINNERS
(October, November & December)
THE FINAL AWARDS FOR 2019
Bitch Of The Quarter
Clairkeith Shimi – Owned by Ms G.C.Woodroffe & Mr R.L.K.Lynn
Trained by C Gardiner
Dog Of The Quarter
Absolute Boy – Owned by Miss L.M.Fitzpatrick & Mrs V.J.Morris
Trained by S Cahill
Sprinter Of The Quarter
Gemini King – Owned by Mr I.S.L.Andrews
Trained by J Kingsley
Most Improved Puppy
Dunaghy Panda – Owned by Mr D.J.Staddon & Mr K.J.Tester
Trained by K Tester
Veteran Of The Quarter
Gemini Duchess – Owned by Mr I.S.L.Andrews
Trained by J Kingsley
1. The Association shall be called "The Brighton Greyhound Owners' Association".
2. The object of the Association is to promote social activities amongst Greyhound Owners and their friends.
3. The Association shall be managed by a Committee of Members and shall consist of the following: Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary/Treasurer and not less than two other members. The Committee shall have the power to fill any vacancy that may occur and co-opt, if they think fit.The retiring Officers and Members of the Committee shall be eligible for re-election. All nominations for election of Committee Members must be proposed and seconded in writing and handed to the Secretary at least 21 days prior to the Annual Meeting. Nominations shall be restricted to paid-up Members of the Association.
4. (a) The Association shall be open to past and present greyhound owners at Brighton and Hove Stadium on payment of the annual subscription, the value of which shall be fixed for the ensuing year and agreed at the Annual Meeting.
(b) The Committee may, at their discretion, accept application for membership from any individual who, it feels, will contribute to the good of the Association.
5. Subscriptions shall be due on 1st January, and the Annual Meeting shall be convened before the end of June.
6. A Special Meeting may be convened at any time by the Committee, specifying the object of the meeting. Notice convening a Special Meeting shall be sent to members not less than 7 days before the meeting, and shall specify the matters involved. Voting at Special or Annual Meetings shall be restricted to members who have paid subscriptions to the Association for the current or preceding year. Voting slips, when necessary, to be issued on production of Membership cards or by reference to the Membership Register.
7. The Committee shall have the power to expel any members who shall offend against the rules of the Association, or whose conduct shall, in the opinion of the Committee, render him/her unfit for membership of the Association, but for the purpose of this rule the vote of not less than two thirds of the whole Committee shall be necessary.
8. The Committee shall have power to amend the rules with immediate effect when necessary.
9. At Committee Meetings and at Annual Meetings the Chairman or ViceChairman, or in their absence a member selected by the meeting shall preside, and he shall have a casting vote in the event of an equality of votes.
Seamus Cahill - Highams Court Kennels, Layhams Road, Keston, Kent, BR2 6AR 01959 576777 / 07803 078046
Maria Collins - Croft Handy Kennels, 51a Lonesome Lane, Reigate, Surrey, RH2 7QT 01737 249022 / 07811 527862
Matt Dartnall - 01753 685363 / 07720 781817
Claude Gardiner - Albourne Kennels, Wheatsheaf Road, Woodmancote, Henfield, West Sussex BN5 9BD 01273 492916 / 07921 976028
June Harvey - Romsey 02380 812580 / 07989 415762
Jason Heath - Burnt Oak Farm, Burnt Oak Lane, Newdigate, Dorking, Surrey RH5 5BL 07920 005576
Alma Keppie - 02380 293 268 / 07736 164 881
Jamie Kingsley - Unit 4, Nestledown Kennels, Eastbourne Road, Blindley Heath, Lingfield, Surrey. RH7 6LG. 07950 774843
Derek Knight - Albourne Kennels, Wheatsheaf Road, Woodmancote, Henfield, West Sussex BN5 9BD 01273 494737 / 07876 128625
Stuart Maplesden - Brighton and Hove Stadium Kennels, Wheatsheaf Road, Woodmancote, Henfield, West Sussex BN5 9BD 01273 048128
Norah McEllistrim - 5 Burhill Kennels, Turners Lane, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey KT12 4AW 01932 221545 / 07767 136866
Richard Rees - Burhill Kennels, Turners Lane, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey KT12 4AW 01932 222637
Wendy Short - Little Rowfold, Coneyhurst Road, Billingshurst, West Sussex RH14 9DF 01403 784748 / 07870 184953
Tony Taylor - Hillside Greyhound Kennels, Shere Road, West Clandon, Guildford, Surrey, GU4 8SH 07836 778604
Ken Tester - Grasmere, Church Lane, Burstow, Horley, Surrey, RH6 9TG 01293 784302
Samantha West - Littlehampton 01903 885946 / 07921 395110
Richard Yeates - Great Missenden 01494 863685